Saturday, August 13, 2005

Learning from Church History

We've been doing a study of church history at our congregation for nearly three months. I have been fascinated by the thread that weaves throughout history to get us where we are today. Several observations on this study.
1. Events don't happen in linear ways. I think we try to portray history as one event followed by another followed by another, etc. What I'm finding is that events pop up all over the place. Zwingli here, Luther there, Calvin in yet another place. And although some have criticized us for saying that these were good men, they were good men. Did they have their faults? Absolutely! But so do I! And I would venture to think, so do you. Back to the original point. These men came to conclusions in many cases quite separately from the other. They would read each other's material (especially after the invention of the printing press) and it would reaffirm what they had already concluded.
2. The Scriptures are so important. I know that sounds like one of those statements that seem so obvious. However, that's what all of the Reformers and Restorers keep coming back to. The importance of the Scripture. There has to be a standard by which all things are measured. We must continue to return to Scripture.
3. We don't have a corner on the market on the truth. Now listen to me here. Do I believe in what I teach? Yes, I do. That truth, however, must come from diligent search into context and hermaneutic. For instance, I had a friend of mine who was an elder/minister for the non-Sunday school church. He mentioned to me one day that the Sunday school issue was not a big deal to him. The reason? He said he was reading the passage where they get that specific belief and he realized when that was written, there was no such thing as Sunday school. It would do us good to talk to our friends in other beliefs. Challenge our thoughts and our interpretation of Scripture. I'm afraid we've gotten into the "it was good enough for my mom and dad and it's good enough for me" mode.
4. Remember, the Restoration Movement was a unity movement. We have assigned to Stone, Campbell, Scott, Lipscomb, Harding, Hardeman, and a number of other people things they never really said. We have taken things out of context (much like we do Scripture) just to satisfy what we believe. Listen to what Barton W. Stone said in his Christian Messenger. "I blush for my fellows, who hold up the Bible as the bond of union yet make their opinions of it a test of fellowship; who plead for union of all Christians; yet refuse to fellowship with such as dissent from their notions. Vain men! Their zeal is not according to knowledge, nor is their spirit that of Christ. Such antisectarian-sectarians are doing more mischief to the cause, and advancement of truth, the unity of Christians, and the salvation of the world than all the skeptics in the world. In fact, they create skeptics."
There are more things I have learned from this exercise. But these are just four. I hope you have a good day today. JW

No comments: