Thursday, July 03, 2008

The Joy of the Holy Prompter

I'm preaching a series on the Holy Spirit. I know, brave, aren't I? Just in the first week, I've discovered that we are all over the page. Which says to me that it's probably a good idea to talk about this. As I got into my car this morning, I was humming a song.

The joy of the Lord will be my strength;
I will not falter, I will not faint.
He is my Shepherd, I am not afraid;
The joy of the Lord is my strength.

The joy of the Lord, the joy of the Lord,
The joy of hte Lord is my strength.
The joy of the Lord, the joy of hte Lord,
The joy of the Lord is my strength.


Why was I singing that song today? Most would say that the synapses in my brain just happened to line up in such a way that the iTune of my mind just put that at the top of my brain's playlist. To me the Greek word for that is "hogwash." I believe the Holy Spirit placed that song on my mind today. And by the way, I like to refer to him as the Holy Prompter. People come to my mind randomly. People that I haven't thought of in years. Songs come to mind. The list goes on and on. Now, I can chose what I do with them. I can respond by calling the people thought of, visiting them, or anything else I want to do. It's not God forcing Himself on me. Just a prompt, a hint, a nudge.
I can choose to sing the song on my heart, or I can move on with the everyday activities of my life. So right now, I've made my choice. and if you'll excuse me:

The joy of the Lord will be my strength;
I will not waiver walking by faith.
He will be strong to deliver me safe;
The joy of the Lord is my strength.

The joy of the Lord, the joy of the Lord,
the joy of the Lord is my strength........


Have a great day. JW

No comments: