Tuesday, January 27, 2009

Father and Friend

My high school and college years were spent at the College Church of Christ in Searcy, Arkansas. Several years later, my family worshiped there while I worked at Harding University. I loved those years because the preachers of the time were so good to listen to. I especially grew to love Jim Woodroof and Mike Cope--Jim because of his tender stories of Jesus, and Mike because of his passionate, stirring lessons on discipleship.
But one of the things I miss dearly are the songs we used to sing there. At that time we used the "Great Songs of the Church" song book. There are many of the old time favorites in there. But there was a section of songs with short, poignant songs with such deep meaning and melodies that moved the heart. I believe that section was entitled "The Hymns." I'm not a big "poem" person, but for some reason these songs stirred me. Their words were full of meaning and conviction. Over the next several months, I'll be putting some of these songs in this blogs to let you see or renew your appreciation for the wonderful words penned by these great writers. Or perhaps we'll talk of some stories behind the songs. Anyway, we'll be looking at these beautiful songs. Here's the first one.

Father and Friend, Thy light, Thy love,
Beaming through all Thy works we see;
Thy glory gilds the heav'ns above,
And all the earth is full of Thee.

Thy voice we hear, Thy presence feel,
While Thou too pure for mortal sight,
Enrapt in clouds, invisible,
Reignest the Lord of life and light.

Thy children shall not faint nor fear,
Sustained by this delightful thought;
Since Thou, their God, art everywhere,
They cannot be where Thou art not.


What a beautiful hymn telling us of God's abiding presence. He will always be with us and never leave us. When the storm is raging, and the waters rushing in, He will be right by our sides. Thank you, Father for being our Rock, our ever-present help. I hope your day is a good one. JW

No comments: