Monday, June 06, 2005

Blue Skies and Rainbows

We live in a huge country. I know, I drove half of it last week. My friends were moving to California and I volunteered to help drive. From Omaha, Nebraska to American Canyon, California is 1634.7 miles. Beginning on Wednesday and finishing on Friday, I saw some of the most beautiful parts of the country. Now I've been to the arm pits of this country. (I won't tell you where those are because I might offend some of the people in Cumberland, Maryland. Oops!) But the mountains, the valleys, the rainstorms, the Great Salt Lake, the Bonneville Salt Flats, the vistas were just breathtaking.
So what do you do while you drive? Well, if you have a six-year-old riding with you, you sing. Her favorite song was Blue Skies and Rainbows. I tried to get her to sing Home on the Range (see yesterday's blog), but she didn't know the words. Blue Skies and Rainbows was the best we could do, and it was a good song to sing anyway. So traveling down the road we're singing at the top of our lungs, "Tall mountains, green valleys, the beauty that surrounds me all make me aware of the One who made it all." At that very moment we were driving through a green valley surrounded by tall mountains with flowers and green all around us. Indeed, it made me aware of the One who did make it all.
I remember sitting in a hotel room in Salt Lake City back in 1997 looking down the beautiful range of the Rockies. The mountains were unbelievable in their majesty. Solid and permanent. I was reading from the Psalms when I came across these words, "The mountains melt like wax before the Lord." The One who made them could also melt them like wax. That same Psalm begins with these words, "The Lord reigns, let the earth be glad." Wow! The Lord reigns. I am glad! Have a great day! JW

P.S. By the way, I also saw a rainbow while driving down the road. . .a double rainbow. Blue skies. The writer must have driven the same highway as I was when he wrote that song. I'll never look at the song in the same way again.

No comments: