Tuesday, May 12, 2009

Judgements and Pepperdine

So, I was sitting in church services with a killer sore throat and I could hardly speak two words without coughing uncontrollably. So I decided to just sit during the worship and not even try to sing. I decided to watch people as they participated. Most were singing along, but I spotted one person who wasn't. How dare they? How arrogant they were! Why, not even singing. This is the Lord's service and this person wasn't singing??? C'mon! Then I realized...neither was I. Maybe this person was looking at me and saying the same things I was about him/her. Then a verse popped into my head. "Do not judge, or you too will be judged. For in the same way you judge others, you will be judged, and with the measure you use, it will be measure to you." Oh, let's be careful with our thoughts and judgements. Let's err on the side of grace instead on the side of judgement. We certainly don't want to Lord to be completely just with us, do we?

Pepperdine was as good as ever. The evening sessions were conducted by Monte Cox, Rich Little (no, not THAT Rich Little. Rich is the preacher at Naperville, IL), Curt Sparks, and Mike Cope. Not too shabby a line up. I also heard Rick Atchley and Rubel Shelley speak. Randy Harris, Jeff Walling, and many more were on the program. People ask me all the time if I learned anything when I go to lectures. Of course, I do. But this one seemed to affirm me more than anything. The things I have been talking about are the things they talked about. It made me think that perhaps I was listening to God's call in what He wanted me to be thinking. Holy Spirit, thank you for prompting me!
I also got to see Brian and Karen Koonce and three of their four kids. A good time was had by all. The singing, the fellowship, the feeding...and, oh yeah, Malibu...what a campus. It was so good to get home, though. Til next year. Have a great day.

No comments: