Thursday, June 11, 2009

Sam Thomsen--One Year Past

June 11, 2009, exactly one year ago I learned of the death of a young 13, almost 14 year old Boy Scout. Not just any Boy Scout. But a vibrant, active, funny, friend of mine who attended my church. He was killed at the Little Sioux Boy Scout Ranch when the tornado hit last year. These things only happen out there. They don't happen in Omaha, NE. Oh, yes, we have tornadoes, but they pass by, do a little damage, and if someone is hurt, it's no one I know. This one was different. Everyone wanted to know about him. Larry King, Good Morning American, The New York Times, NPR, and all the local news stations.
Sam Thomsen began life having to fight. He was premature. He was adopted by one of our families. He had to work at everything. And just about the time it seemed that he was overcoming everything and doing so well, a tornado killed him. That's not fair. It's not fair to him. It's not fair to his family who loved him and miss him dearly. It's not fair to his friends. And we still are struggling with his death. In the grand scheme of things, I still want to ask "Why?". I haven't answered that one. Nor do I think I ever will. Yes, I'll see good things, and have seen good things that have come from this. But will I understand it? Nope, probably not.
I will, however, worship Him in the storm. I wasn't there when He layed the foundations of the earth. I don't know where He keeps the storehouses of hail and snow. I do know that He is God and He will make all things right. This fallen world confuses, destroys, and batters. But I refuse to despair. "The steadfast of the Lord never ceases. His mercies never come to an end. They are new every morning. Great is they faithfulness. The Lord is my portion says my soul. Therefore I will hope in him." So says Jeremiah in the ruins of Jerusalem. So say I. Please keep Larry, Sharon, Lindsey, and Sarah Thomsen in your prayers...at all times...especially today.

No comments: