Wednesday, May 26, 2010

The Prayer at Starbucks

It's my own little sanctuary....and it's not always at the same place. This morning it happened to be at the Starbucks across the street from our church building. As I settled in with my venti no-water chai, I propped my feet up in the chair beside me and I began to pray. Now, I'm normally a person who needs quiet for this to occur. But for some reason this works for me. Busy patrons were bustling in to get their morning fixes of coffee. They would come screaming up in their cars slamming on their breaks, jumping out and hurrying in and then out and then off to work. A work crew was destroying the parking lot and loading the chunks of concrete onto a dump truck. The drive through was just a few feet from where I was sitting, but no one paid attention to me. One of the busiest streets in Omaha was to the north of my seated position and there were hundreds, yea thousands, of cars streaming to work. The bank next to me had employees and patrons hustling to conduct the business of the day. But no one saw me as I prayed. Oh, I didn't bow my head nor face to the east while on my knees. No, I kept my eyes open and prayed to the One in control. I prayed for my family, I prayed for my church, I prayed for my friends, I prayed for the world, I prayed for just about everything. I told God how grateful I was for His spectacular goodness. I asked His forgiveness for my foolhardyness. (Is that a word?) And nobody noticed....except the Father. And I think He was pleased. I know it began my day with a beautiful sense of peace that passes understanding. And my day will be better for it. You should give it a try. I hope your day is a good one. JW

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I agree with the first comment.

dee s.