Wednesday, July 14, 2010

I Prayed to God Last Night

I prayed to God last night. There's nothing unusual about that because I pray often. But this was different than any I've ever prayed. But I'm getting ahead of myself.
On July 8, 1993, my father passed away after a long battle with prostate cancer. The treatment back then was crude and he suffered as the cancer settled in his bones. The doctor would ask him how he was doing and he would answer, "Fine. My arthritis is just kicking up." What we know now was the arthritis he talk of was the cancer in his bones. Ironically, on July 8, 2010 I had 12 biopsies on my own prostate. Again, I'm a little ahead of myself.
Back in February I went in for my "annual" physical and check-up. Only problem was it had been two years since the last one. They always do all the standard stuff--the blood work, the blood pressure, the cholesterol, etc. Several weeks after the physical I received a letter from the doctor stating that my PSA (Prostate Specific Antigen) count had climbed somewhat. What was 3.18 two years ago had gone up to 6.50 this year. A count of 4 or below is considered normal. He gave me two options. One, come back in several months and retest to see if the reading was accurate. After all, I did have a severe cold at the time and infections could affect the test. Or, two, I could see the urologist. I opted for number two. So I made the appointment and went to see a doctor highly recommended by two of my elders.
Once at the appointment, and once the doctor saw my PSA count, and once he saw my family history (my father had died, and my eldest brother had had his prostate removed), he said, "We need to do a biopsy." Within the week I had a biopsy scheduled. That took place last Thursday morning.
Tomorrow morning, I return to the doctor to get the results of the biopsies. Hence, the beginning of my blog. I prayed to God last night. I told him I wasn't coming to Him to bargain. After all, who am I to bargain with God and with what do I have to bargain with? What I told Him was it didn't matter to me what the results of my biospy was. I would still serve Him. He is good all the time. He is good when things are good. He is good when things are bad. And whether they are good or bad, I will serve Him. I will glorify Him in everything I do. Whatever happens, He is my God. Period. So, I still ask for your prayers. I don't expect anything to be bad. But if they are....He is still good and I will praise His name.
I hope your day is a good one. Mine is. JW

1 comment:

Karen said...

Nothing more anyone can say to that. You are on the money as usual.

Love you, Jim.