Monday, February 07, 2011

C. S. Lewis

I haven't ever been much of a C. S. Lewis fan. It's not because I don't think he's a great writer, I just have a hard time understanding him. His thought processes are so far above my own, I just don't get him sometimes. I bought a book not too long ago called A Year with C. S. Lewis which has a year of readings from him. Perhaps broken up in smaller parts I can "get" him a little bit better. Today's blog is from his book Mere Christianity. I hope you like it. I did.

Besides being complicated, reality, in my experience, is usually odd. It is not neat, not obvious, not what you expect. For instance, when you have grasped that the earth and the other planets all go around the sun, you would naturally expect that all the planets were made to match--all at equal distances from each other, say, or distances that regularly increased, or all the same size, or else getting bigger or smaller as you go further from the sun. In fact, you find no rhyme or reason (that we can see) about either the sizes or the distances; and some of them have one moon, one has four, one has two, some have none, and one has a ring.

Reality, in fact, is usually something you could not have guessed. That is one of the reasons I believe Christianity. It is a religion you could have not guessed. If it offered us just the kind of universe we had always expected, I should feel we were making it up. But, in fact, it is not the sort of thing anyone would have made up. It has just that queer twist about it that real things have. --C. S. Lewis

Thank you, sir....I couldn't have said it better myself. I hope you have a good day. JW

No comments: