Wednesday, May 07, 2008

The Most Important Thing

If you know me or if you read my blog, you know that yesterday was my birthday. Once again, I don't tell you that because I haven't gotten my card or gift from you. But you have to know that to set this next story up.
I was in the foyer (vestibule, etc.) in our church building yesterday when I encountered several ladies from our congregation. They were putting up a bulletin board to advertise our Vacation Bible School. One of the ladies had her two little girls with her. These are the sweetest, smartest little girls. They'll carry on a conversation with you, hug you, make you laugh...well, you get the picture. Oh, and if you're not careful, they'll teach you a lesson. The youngest, who is probably 5 or 6 years old, found out it was my birthday. So I was greeted by her with a rousing chorus of "Happy Birthday!" Then she asked me, "Did you get any gifts or a cake?" Now, my daughter was one of the ladies (she's 25 and married, so, yes, she's one of the "ladies."). I told the little girl, "Yes, I did get some presents, but I didn't get a birthday cake. Why don't you tell my little girl (pointing to my daughter) to get me a cake." To which she shook her head and said to me (you'd better listen up because this is profound), "The most important thing is to have fun." You know, she's right. The gifts, the cake, the celebration...don't come to expect it. Just enjoy life. Solomon said:

Go, eat your food with gladness, and drink your wine with a joyful heart, for it is now that God favors what you do. Ecclesiastes 9:7

As Tommy Nelson says about this verse in his book A Life Well Lived, "We should go out with some buddies, have a good meal, and wash it down with a little Columbian coffee and a couple of dips of Rocky Road."
Thank you, Ellen, for such a good lesson. It was a great birthday gift, too. Maybe that's why Jesus told us that the kingdom of heaven belongs to these little ones. Have a great day. JW

No comments: