Tuesday, May 06, 2008

Fifty-Four!

Today is my 54th birthday. I don't tell you that to elicit cries of "Happy Birthday" or any other birthday greeting. I tell you that because it's humbling. This was birthday season in the White household of old. It started with Dad's being April 20, mine May 6, Charles' May 12, Wayne's May 17, Mom's June 4, and Don's June 15. So we got them into a three month (Really two month) time frame. It blows me away that my brothers will be 65, 63, and 60 this year. On the way to work this morning, my son said to me, "Hey Dad, next year you'll be halfway to 60!" Thanks for the reminder, Son.
I wish I had something profound to say. According to life expectancies, I have about 20 more years to live. But I feel so good right now. I rode my bike for nearly an hour yesterday. Aside from aching when I mow the lawn or rake leaves, I feel really good. Things happen over the next 20 years. And if the first 54 years are any indication, 20 years will seem like a week. But there is one thing that lingers in the back of my mind. I getting more and more friends who have gone to their reward...and they're waiting to greet me. I can't wait. Yet there are still many things to do. I think I finally get what Paul was saying when he said:

I eagerly expect and hope that I will in no way be ashamed, but will have sufficient courage so that now as always Christ will be exalted in my body, whether by life or by death. For to me, to live is Christ and to die is gain. If I am to go on living in the body, this will mean fruitful labor for me. Yet what shall I choose? I do now know! I am torn between the two; I desire to depart and be with Christ, which is better by far; but it is more necessary for you that I remain in the body. Convinced of this, I know that I will remain, and I will continue with all of you for your progress and joy in the faith, so that through my being with you again your joy in Christ Jesus will overflow on account of me.

Now I have no dreams that I am anywhere close to being as effective as the apostle Paul. But I do understand his angst to be with the Lord. Perhaps thats part of me that may be maturing. Maybe. But don't bet on it. Let's go for a bike ride. Not too fast. Nice and slow. Have a great day. JW

No comments: