Tuesday, April 29, 2008

God's Will

Therefore, my dear friends, as you have always obeyed--not only in my presence, but now much more in my absence--continue to work out your salvation with fear and trembling, for it is God who works in you to will and to act according to his good purpose. Philippians 2:12, 13

Do not conform any longer to the pattern of this world, but be transformed by the renewing of your mind. Then you will be able to test and approve what God's will is--his good, pleasing and perfect will. Rolmanhs 12:2

Henry Blackaby, in his book Experiencing God says that we often say, "I want to find out what God's will is for my life." He says that's the wrong approach. We should find out what God's will is and then do what He wants. Now the $25,000 question is, "What is God's will?" There is a lady in my congregation that asks that of me all the time. "How do we know what God's will is?"
I've been trying to figure that out. How do I know that I'm doing God's will and that He is working in my life? Here's my thinking. You may agree or disagree. You may even add something because I don't have it figured out. Still learning. Still trying to know God's will.

1. I know the Spirit is working and I know God's will when I see Him in everything in my life. When a song comes up on the radio that encourages me. When somebody says something to me that seems so random, yet just hits me in the right spot at the right time. One of our problems is we are too busy and it's too noisy. But when we see Him and hear Him (yes, I said, "Hear Him"), then we can know that God is active and working. When someone's name comes to my mind and I know I should call and encourage, the Holy Spirit (I call Him the Holy Prompter) is working. Some people call it coincidence. I call it providence. And what's even more exciting, and it's what the verses above say, I can be part of God's working in the lives of others!

2. Some will say that I'm doing God's will when everything seems to be going well in my life. I'm sorry, I don't buy that. I know I'm doing God's will when in the midst of the biggest storms in my life, I sense a peace that God is there and He is working on me. To know that He holds me when I weep, that He rejoices in my triumphs, that He encourages when I'm down, that He holds me in the palm of His hand, that's when I know I'm in the center of His love and His will. When things seem utterly terrible and I can praise His name, I know I am in the center of His will. It doesn't mean I never question Him, I never doubt Him, or I never wonder where He is. It does mean I trust Him enough and have faith enough to believe that He is present and He's in control.

Now, is this easy? Heaven's no. But it helps me to know that it's not about me and that if He can be glorified by using my small, insignificant effort, then so be it. I just want my light to shine. Hide it under a bushel? No! I'm gonna let it shine. Do I have this down pat? No way. But I'm learning every day. I'm His student. I want to learn until I leave this earth, then on to learn more about His glory in eternity. I can't wait. I hope you can't either. Have a great day. JW

No comments: