Thursday, April 10, 2008

Lessons from Hurting Children

Yesterday was kid's day in my life. Oh, I certainly didn't plan it that way, but one of our couples at church had their daughter (less than 6 months?) in for some surgery. Seems she had a cluster of blood vessels on the outside of her skull just above the right ear. When the mom described what the doctor said about it ("It's really nothing serious.") I chuckled and said, "It's not his kid, is it?" I understand that. I've been through it with my own daughter. Don't tell me what is and what isn't serious. As I visited with the mom and dad, I told them, "Doesn't this make you realize God's love for you? What has that baby done for you? She's messed in her diaper, peed all over you, cried when she was hungry. To which the mom said, "She's given us so much joy." Isn't that what God feels, too? And can you imagine His thoughts when we really live to please Him?
Then it was off to see another one. This one was to welcome him into the world. He was sleeping when I saw him (and so was his dad. Mom was tired from the delivery, but smiling...you know how it is. I love that mother's smile.) Fun for both couples.
I did get an interesting earful as I waited in the waiting room (aptly named). One mother's son was in surgery. He had pneumonia and was struggling to breathe. That happens when you suck six kernels of corn down into your lungs. She wept as the doctor told her he was putting her precious into ICU. She hugged a lady sitting next to her and said, "You're such a good mother-in-law." I don't hear that often. Another doctor bounced into a mother and father and said, "He's fine. His appendix was really swollen. I had to make the incision just a little larger just to get it out. Here are some pictures." To which the mother took them and said, "These can go into his scrapbook." Can you imagine that one? Here's Johnny walking for the first time. Here he is on his new trike. First day of school." Then you turn the page. "AHHHHHHHHHH! What is that!" "Oh, it's just his appendix." Another young mother wept while she told of her son's anesthesia. She was relating the ordeal to her father when two others came in to cheer her up. Another I didn't even understand because they spoke another tongue. But they fretted and wept in the same language as me.
Wow. What a incite into God's love. I wouldn't trade it for anything. "For God so loved the world that he gave his one and only Son, that whoever believes in him shall not perish but have eternal life." That's how much. Have a great day. JW

No comments: