Monday, April 14, 2008

Only In Times of Trouble?

Here is a quote from one of the presidential candidates about religion. "...religion is a bulwark, a foundation when other things aren't going well. That's true in my own life, through trials and tribulations." It doesn't matter who said that. I'm not endorsing any particular candidate. But I think it's an indication of what we believe about faith in America.
First of all, the statement seems a little, I don't know, preacheresque. It sounds like stained-glass preaching. Who uses the word "bulwark" anymore? Who even knows what it is? According to the dictionary, it's a strong support or protection. This candidate probably got this from Martin Luther's song, A Mighty Fortress. The opening line goes:

A mighty fortress is our God, A bulwark never failing...

Good speechwriters. That didn't bother me as much as the other part of this statement. "...(it is) a foundation when other things aren't going well." No! It's a foundation when things are going well. It's a foundation when they aren't going well. It's a foundation when things are mundane. It's a foundation regardless! It's as Jesus told in the Sermon on the Mount, "Therefore everyone who hears these words of mine and puts them into practice is like a wise man who built his house on the rock." Paul said, "For no one can lay any foundation other than the one already laid, which is Jesus Christ." No one builds a foundation for a house and uses it only during a storm. A wise man once said, "Sometimes the only time a person will look up to God is when he is lying flat on his back."
I'm afraid that "I'll trust God only when it's raining" mentality is what causes us to be fair-weather Christians. When David said, "God is my Rock, my Fortress," I can't help thinking he meant all the time.
I'm sorry for blathering on this, but it just hit me wrong. It scared me. But then again, it shouldn't. My Rock, My Fortress is the Lord. I trust in Him. There us no candidiate or any other elected official on which I should rely. Only in Him will I trust. Have a good day. JW

No comments: