Wednesday, October 08, 2008

Re-Writing Scripture

We've been studying about the reliability of the Scriptures in our Sunday morning Bible class. Lee Strobel's book "The Case for the Real Jesus" has been a wonderful resource. I would recommend any of his books. In class we have studied about those who transcribed Scripture. Down through the years it has been monks in monasteries who wrote copies of copies of copies of copies. In the New Testament, they are called "scribes" or "teachers of the law." Jesus railed on them for being arrogant and narrow-minded in their thinking.
Recently, however, I got to thinking how serious a task this was. To write Scripture. Many of the so-called "variations" that are criticized in our canon come from minor errors such as misspellings or other similar things. The Scripture is remarkable in its accuracy and reliability! So I decided to do something. And I'm going to encourage you to do the same. I'm writing the Scripture. I've taken my pen and sat down and started to transcribe Scripture. Philippians is the first book and I'm finished with the first chapter. It's amazing the depth of insight that I've gotten and I've seen things I've never seen before. Plus, at one point it struck me that I was writing the words of Paul, inspired by the Holy Spirit. It's an awesome experience!
We'll see how far this goes. Who knows, I may get to the entire Bible. My goal right now is to finish Philippians and then on to the rest of the New Testament. I started to think, wouldn't it be really neat if my kids could have a copy of the Bible written by their Dad! There are all kinds of serendipities. Try it. I think you'll enjoy it.
By the way, I hope your day is a good one. JW

2 comments:

One Observationist said...

Interesting exercise. I bet it would be insightful. I'll think about doing it. Thanks for the nudge.

Jeremy Divis

preacherman said...

Interesting. One of my favorite versions is the Messsage. I think Max is also making his own version as well which I can't wait for. I mean think about how many believers love and think the King James Version is the only version.