Tuesday, October 21, 2008

Thanks!

It wasn't much. Especially after what had just happened. Jesus had healed ten lepers. They were so excited and rightly so. I can just imagine their feelings as they checked out their new skin. Joyfully, they went on their merry way to show themselves to the priests. But one came back just to say "thank you." The Bible says he praised God in a loud voice. And Jesus commended him. It was something simple that anyone could do. The miracle was on Jesus' part. A simple "thank you" came from the healed man.
We've become involved in an elementary school not too far from our church building. So far we've provided school supplies and, of all things, laudry detergent. Yesterday we had some ladies bring some cookies and brownies to give to the teachers for the hard work. I wrote a simple letter thanking them for their hours of hard work, their ability to see the heart and not just look on the outward appearance of the children they see everyday. I thanked them for making a difference in the community and in the world.
What happened next surprised me. First of all, the paraprofessiol, my contact at the school said, "People just don't say 'thank you' anymore." Then she hugged me. I get way too much credit for things like this. All I did was ask people to make cookies and then I delivered them. It's not fair that I get to see what happens when something nice is done to people with no expectations of return, with no hidden agendas, and with no strings attached. I'm praying for opportunties. I'm sure they will come because God works in mysterious ways. But why do I feel so blessed? A simple "thank you" and I received a "thank you" back. Wow! What a concept. I keep learning more and more every day. Maybe, just maybe if we were gentle as the Scripture tells us to be instead of sharp and condemning, people might just listen more. You think? Lord, keep teaching me. I hope your day is a good one. JW

No comments: