Tuesday, March 10, 2009

What A Difference Six Years Makes

I drove him up to the junior high school and let him out. It was a strange sensation. Really the last time I had done this he was a short, little adolescent whose voice hadn't really changed. His hair was kind of butch with a little bleach in it (that was the style, tipped kind of blond, remember?). He was carrying a back pack and his books for another day at school. No worries. No cares. Just school. That was six years ago.
Today when I dropped him off he was wearing a tie. He was observing a class for one of his classes at college. He wasn't the scrawny kid anymore. He was a man...a young man, but a man. What a difference six years makes. Instead of 13 years old, he's 19. Instead of worrying about lockers and bullies, he's interested in quarter notes and scales. Where has the last six years gone?
I begged out of a meeting last night because I know that I won't have many more of these opportunities. He's at the end of my job. Not really, but you know what I mean. He won't live under my roof much longer. Yes, I'll still have influence and some say so. But it diminishes every day. Have I done enough? Have I done my job? After all these 19 years, what do I want to say? I can sum it up in just a few words. "Follow God, my son. And follow His Son." I hope your day is a good one.

1 comment:

One Observationist said...

Yep. You've done your job. You have helped shaped your lil man. It was an enormously important thing and you contributed.

Your post made me think about my dad. I've been harsh towards him (mostly in thoughts) over the years, but he taught me a lot about working hard; about doing whatever it takes to keep food on the table.

Will your son still look up to? I guess that depends. Will you continue to change with him? Just a general question.

Thanks again for the thoughts. Haven't visited your blog in a while and really like what you have had to say.