Tuesday, March 17, 2009

What Does God Require of Us?

I'm sorry I haven't posted lately. Frankly, I have had nothing profound or glib to say. No experiences that have made me ponder, laugh, ruminate, or cogitate. Life has been pretty boring lately, and that's not necessarily bad. One mountain peak experience after another and you begin to become jaded to mountain tops. So when the mountain top does come...wow!
I was reading today in The Message (presently my daily Scripture reading Bible). I'm always struck with the simplicity of God's instructions. I'm also amused how we add to, yea multiply and expound and interpret what God meant in these instructions. Jesus told the young lawyer that the greatest commandment was to love God with everything you had. How simple is that? Simple to understand, difficult to carry out. But God knew there would be some dummy (me!) coming along reading and He had to keep it as simple as possible so he(me!)could understand it. Here's another one of those, "Let's just keep it simple" passages.
Moses is talking to the Israelites as they prepare to enter the Promised Land. He's giving them a history lesson, some instructions, some encouragement. He tells them what God expects of them. When I saw that, I perked up. Here's what he said.

So now Israel, what do you think God expects from you? Just this: Live in his presence in holy reverence, follow the road he sets out for you, love him, serve God, your God with everything you have in you, obey the commandments and regulations of God that I'm commanding you today--live a good life.

Pretty simple to understand. Pretty hard to carry out.
1. Live in God's presence knowing how holy He is.
2. Follow where He leads
3. Love Him
4. Serve Him with every fiber of your being
5. Obey Him
6. Live a good life

Wow! Let's try this...even if just for a day. Let me know how it works. I'm going to try it myself. Have a great day! JW

3 comments:

One Observationist said...

Hey Jim - Great post. I've been in one of those moods lately where I just don't have anything worth saying. Nothing that is overly revealing or relevant.

Do you think we can really "know" where God wants us to go? I'm not talking about the simple things like do unto others and the other moral good vs evil things. I'm talking about the decisions we actually have to make that will impact us the rest of our lives. In my life things are not black and white; the right or wrong choices are not that noticeable to me.

drjimwhite said...

Great point. Sometimes I think we just need to walk on and allow God's will to happen to us. What is it someone said? "Life is what happens to you while you are making plans." Maybe it's up to us to continue to praise God as He walks with us in whatever happens.

One Observationist said...

Wow. That's tough for me. Praising God in times that aren't great; like right now. I keep telling myself that its all going to work out, but man....

Do you ever have those moments in life where you keep hearing the same message over and over?

Mine right now is "keep the faith." "Trust in me [God]."

Even though it is hard for me right now this overall message, like what you have posted and what I have heard from others, is keeping me focused and hopeful.

Thanks Jim. I appreciate what you have said.