Tuesday, April 07, 2009

Keep Going

Someone said (and I'm paraphrasing here) that football is a sport where 80,000 people in need of exercise are screaming for 22 people who need a break. I find that's usually true in the church. My tendency to listen to those who criticize is directly proportional to how involved they are in the Lord's work. I've noticed this recently while working out at the gym. There are those who are working so hard on their machines...elipticals or stair steps. And while they are working out so hard, invariably someone comes up and starts talking to them. They stand there and visit while the exercisee is panting, sweating, and getting the old heart rate up. I'll tell you right now, about the only response you would get from me would be a nod of the head or a shrug of the shoulders. I might flip some sweat on them. But frankly, I'm too busy working out to have time to worry about other things.
Isn't that true in the church? Have you noticed the ones complaining are usually the ones with a lot of time on their hands? They are really doing anything? They feel their gift is the gift of criticism? Can I give you (and me) some advice? Keep peddling. Keep walking. Keep doing what you are doing. Paul told the Galatians "We can't allow ourselves to get tired of living the right way." The NIV translated that, "Let us not become weary in doing good." I remember Dr. Paul Faulker once told the story of the Mississippi River. He said, you can go out into the Gulf of Mexico several hundred miles and there is still fresh water. Why? Because the river continues to press on in spite of the pollution that's dumped in it, in spite of everything that lies in her path, she continues on. So much so, that she makes an impact into something as vast as the Gulf of Mexico. So it should be with us. Don't worry about those who are standing there talking to you trying to distract you from your appointed task. Keep going. Keep going. Keep going. I hope your day is a good one. JW

1 comment:

One Observationist said...

Amen Jim. I've been there a lot. Criticizing the church while I sat around and did little or nothing. I'm done criticizing the church. In fact I'm tired of criticism in general. Now when people come to me with gossip or criticism I ask them, "what are you going to do about it" or "what is the solution?" Great post Jim. Reminded me of my past mistakes and to keep on moving forward even though it is harder than....