Wednesday, April 01, 2009

Kimball Matkins

President Wayne Baker and I traveled to Des Moines, IA in 2001 because we were needing a new admissions counselor at York College. We wanted someone a little more mature, a little older than those we had traditionally hired. Generally, we would hire someone right out of college, send them on the road and burn them out. We didn't have to pay them much and we could get a few good years out of them before they moved on. But this was different. There was a gentleman who lived in Des Moines, a two-year graduate of York College who had just tragically lost his wife to cancer. He had two children--one who had already gotten his degree from York and had married. Another, a daughter, was just beginning to start her freshman year at York. There was something special about Kimball. He had a wonderful attitude. Even though he had lost the most precious thing on earth to him, his lovely wife, he didn't blame God. He didn't consider himself a victim. He had a positive view on life. We offered him a job as an admissions counselor and he took it.
Kimball hit the road with a passion. He traveled extensively to Montana and all points in between. He would be gone for several weeks at a time, making an impact, encouraging kids to come to York. It was a good fit for him and us. We got the maturity we wanted. He was able to distract himself from his loss and totally immerse himself in his new job.
On one of his trips, he met a young lady who had three little boys. They began to communicate on line and soon he came to my office to tell me he was getting married again. I remember him having those little boys in his office and having to punish them. I smirked because he was starting all over again. He would come and ask me if he could apply for other jobs on campus because he wanted to stay home more often. I gave him my blessing, but I didn't want to lose him because he was so good at what he did.
I left York College in 2003 and Kimball finished his B.A. in Business. He took on another job as financial aid director. Life seemed good. Kimball would tell you that even if it wasn't. "God is good...all the time." he used to say often. My wife was at a Leadership Training for Christ meeting in Kansas City and she mentioned that she had seen Kimball. "What is wrong?" she asked. He was really hobbling. I visited with him briefly and he told me that he just felt weak. I told my wife I hope he didn't have multiple sclerosis. He didn't. He had Lou Gehrig's disease. The last time I talked to Kimball was at his father's funeral. He was in a wheel chair and he was having a difficult time speaking. I came home and told my wife that he would not be around next year at the same time.
Now I know I'm not a prophet, but I was right. Kimball left this life in the early hours on March 26th. I don't mourn for him. I mourn for his wife, his three step sons, his two kids from his first wife, and his grandchildren. I wish they could have known their grandfather. He was a good man. But he's no longer in pain. He no longer has to shuffle. He now has the strength that he had lost...and then some. As the following words were read yesterday, tears flowed from my eyes as I thought of Kimball.

He gives strength to weary and increases the power of the weak. Even youths grow tired and weary, and young men stumble and fall; but those who hope in the Lord will renew their strength. They will soar on wings like eagles; they will run and not grow weary, they will walk and not grow faint. The screen said, "I'm soaring." Indeed you are, my friend. Indeed you are.

1 comment:

Steve Hawley said...

Kim was a great man. Thanks for the kind words about Mom. She was special. Weren't we surrounded by so many special people in York?
God bless,
Steve
Luke 18:1