Wednesday, July 15, 2009

Stunned by Scripture

I am stunned by Scripture. I mean that. Things that I have read hundreds of times jut leap out at me and just stun and amaze. We heard of "shock and awe" during the war with Iraq. It doesn't even hold a candle to God's Word.
Now I have to admit, I have read it enough that sometimes I get lacksidasical and often skim over the reading because I have read it before. That's why I like reading different translations because they give me a new insight into what God is saying. It also slows me down when I read. I have been using "The Message" as my personal Bible study. I was reading in I Kings about Solomon and him asking God for wisdom instead of riches and long life. Listen to how Peterson words Solomon's request. God asks Solomon, "What can I give you?" Here is his response.

Here's what I want: Give me a God-listening heart so I can lead your people well, discerning the difference between good and evil.

Wow! A God-listening heart. That's what I want. I want a God listening heart. I listen so much to what the television is saying, what the people say about my sermons, what everybody else is saying. What I need is a God listening heart.
Dear God, help me to turn out all of the voices who try to drown out your message and your word and your will and help me to hear only You. Help me to, as the Psalmist says, "Be still and know that you are God." Help me to hear only You. For I want a God listening heart. In our Savior's name. Amen. Have a great day. JW

No comments: