Wednesday, July 08, 2009

Sixteen Years

July 8, 2009. It doesn't seem possible, but 16 years ago today, my dad passed from this life to his eternal reward. I still miss him to this day. What an influence he's been not only to me, but to many others down through the years. Even today I have people come to me and say, "You know, your dad was such a good guy." There's a passage in Judges that talks about the influence that Joshua had. It says that the children of Israel followed the Lord as long as the memory of Joshua lasted. I feel that way about dad. Now who will carry on his legacy? If I could just be half the man he is, what an honor that would be. He wasn't perfect. But he followed unquestionably the One who was. I still have his Bible, one that I gave him back several years ago. He would underline passages that were important to him. Ocassionally, I still pick up his Bible and read what I call the gospel according to Ed. You know what I do now? I underline passages in my Bible. I've already given one to my daughter. There are more for Nate and perhaps for the grandkids. But truth is, Ed lives on. I hope your day is a good one. JW

No comments: