Thursday, February 11, 2010

Footprints

We have a pre-school here at our building and the kids are fun to see. They are so full of excitement and they want to learn so much. Their energy is enviable and their smiles are contagious. I love when they come around the office with their Halloween outfits--princesses and football players, Power Rangers and Cinderellas, it is so much fun to have a brief conversation with them from time to time. And brief is what it usually is because they have an agenda to keep, someone to play with, another place to go.
This morning as I walked into the office, I caught of glimpse of something that struck my heart. Of course, living in Nebraska, we have our share of snow. And even though we haven't had as much as the East Coast this year, we've had our share of snow since December and haven't seen the ground since the early part of that month. On the sidewalk were hundreds of little footprints. I saw those precious feet as kids being led to all kinds of places. They were taken home by their parents or grandparents. Perhaps they were excited about lunch at Chuckie Cheese or Taco Bell. But they were being led. They didn't get into their own cars and drive themselves. That will come later. But the footprints struck me.
What if that parent were to lead their child somewhere that would harm them? Metaphorically, I thought about my path and where I had led others, precioius children full of trust, just holding my hand and going where I took them.
That's the kind of influence we have. Others with child-like faith may be looking to us. Wanting to know where we will lead them. As Jesus called His apostles, He said, "Follow me." Later, Paul says, "Follow me, as I follow Christ." That's what I truly want to do. Take these and lead them into the way of knowing how good and precious and full of grace our Lord is.
I thought of the song:

Sweetly, Lord have we heard Thee calling,
"Come follow me!"
And we see where Thy footprints falling
Lead us to Thee.
Footprints of Jesus, that make the pathway glow;
We will follow the steps of Jesus,
Where'er they go.

Indeed, let us lead in the paths and footprints of Jesus. I hope your day is a good one. JW

No comments: