Tuesday, September 03, 2013

Fireworks

It was a beautiful, cool evening. One of those Nebraska evenings that come in the last part of August (although this year, we had several really hot nights!). But this evening was cool with a gentle breeze blowing in. A perfect night for a baseball game. My family went to watch our minor league team play one of their last series. Afterwards, there was promised a fireworks display. There's nothing like a good fireworks show to get my blood stirring. Those loud booms and the beautiful, colorful streamers of light that light up the evening sky, the report from the exploding fireworks, all of these are things I really like. The louder, the better. The crowd would ooh and ahh as each of the explosions went off. I have to admit I was taken back by the beauty of the night sky.

We were sitting in the perfect position to watch these detonations of light and sound. Seated right behind home plate looking up into the sky in right/center field, we were able to see everything as it careened in the dark night heavens. But I noticed something. There was something that caught my eye. It was sneaking over the horizon just to the right of the display of light that was exploding overhead. It was one of those full moons that you see in the summer. In fact, I think it was what is called a blue moon. The moon wasn't blue, but a blue moon occurs when their are two full moons in one month (at least that's what they said on the weather report). Hence the saying, "Once in a blue moon." My eyes were drawn away from the fireworks and drawn to this wonderful display of God's creation. It was almost as if God was saying to the fireworks people, "Is that all you got?" I was humbled and somewhat ashamed to think that I was impressed with a little firework show when God reminded me that His power and might are far, far greater than anything humans can produce. I smiled and pointed out the moon to my family. And I pondered the message God sent me that night.

The heavens declare the glory of God; the skies proclaim the work of his hands. Psalm 119:1

O Lord, our Lord, how majestic is your name in all the earth! Psalm 8:1

How foolish of me to be impressed with the greatness and power of humankind when in plain sight every day is God's power shown in glorious ways. I would be better served to open my eyes more widely to see the majesty of the true King and to enjoy the works of His hands.

I hope your day is a good one. JW

No comments: