Tuesday, November 19, 2013

Papa!

Papa! I almost missed it. I had just taught class and was bustling down the hall going to my office to drop off my notes and to pick the sermon notes. I took another step or two and then realized the call had been for me. Papa! Papa! This time I stopped dead in my tracks. From around the corner came my grandson with a huge smile on his face. Our eyes met and he started jumping up and down. Papa! Papa! Papa! I reached down and picked him up. He looked at a person standing next to me and said, "This is my Papa." My heart was bursting with pride. What he said next didn't surprise me. After he had said, "This is my Papa," he looked at me and said, "Where's your Ipad?"

This short encounter made me think of several things. The first was my sheer joy at hearing my name being called. I couldn't help but think of how God feels when one of His own call His name and with joy are delighted to be in His presence. If I, as a earthly grandfather, feel the joy from such a simple act, think of how God must feel when He hears a child of His truly excited to call his name. How often do we with joy call out to God. The Psalmist said, "I love the Lord, for he heard my voice." (Psalm 116:1)

But the next statement, "Where's your Ipad," is not atypical of my grandson, nor is it atypical of us. I gladly share my technology with my grandson when it's possible (he's not even three years old yet!), but there is a sense in me that says he only loves me for my Ipad. I know that's not true. (I think!) How often, though, do we shout with joy to the Father only in the next breath to ask for something? I know, Jesus told us that we didn't have because we don't ask. But shouldn't we just bask in His goodness and His glory before we start asking for what we want?

You know what, though? I still love to hear my grandson (or my own children or even my wife) call my name. And I think God does, too. Perhaps we should call on Him more often! Maybe we should enjoy His presence all the time...even when there is nothing to ask for.

No comments: