Thursday, December 28, 2006

Seatbelt Christianity

Coming up Interstate 29 the other day just north of Kansas City, the road splits and a decision has to be made which direction one will go. The problem? The left option was blocked off by the state police. Once we got passed, we could see a serious wreck on the other side of the freeway.
I happen to be in the left lane, the one I need to be in, the one I'm in to go to the right which is the way I'm supposed to go. However, the lady in the van next to me one lane over realized that she had to get over because she had no options. So she decided to get over....Now!....Right where I was....I guess she thought I should let her in. As she crept closer and closer to me (realize that she is slightly behind me) I look over and I'm looking at her passenger mirror. I mean, it's right beside me. I glance at her and she's putting her seatbelt on! If I hit this guy in his Honda, that doesn't matter, but I sure as shootin' don't want to get a ticket for not having my seatbelt on!
Isn't that just like us? Things are going badly for me. The world is caving in. Oh, I think I'll go to church services. Let me put on my spiritual seatbelt and surely I'll be fine. Never mind the fact that our lives are caroming wildly out of control. The key is to take care of those things before we our lives get out of control.
Fortunately, everything was fine. She realized what was happening and slowed down. But what about the next time? Or the next? I remember hearing Dr. Paul Faulkner asking the pertinent question, "Where do you want to be in five years? ten years? twenty years? Then throw yourself in that direction today. The journey starts today and not years later. Good advice. Have a great day. JW

No comments: