Tuesday, September 09, 2008

Apartment Living

10440 C Ryker, Dallas, TX. I can't remember the zip code, but that's the address of our first apartment when we married over 32 years ago. It was a 2 bedroom flat that cost us $147 a month. The price went up soon after we moved in (what doesn't?). Since that time we have lived in a number of places, mostly houses. But now we've moved back into an apartment. Why? I can give you some why's and some "no, that's not it at all's."
One--I have no children at home anymore. My daughter lives here in town with her husband, and my son is away at college. Maybe if we stay in an apartment, he won't be tempted to come home and live with us after he graduates. He's not getting married. I have a signed napkin where he told us he wasn't going to marry.
Two--I don't like to mow the lawn. What's the use? It just grows back. It makes me sneeze. It wears me out. It costs money to keep a lawn mower going. It brings back a recurring nightmare of having to mow when I was a kid.
Three--It's not because we're moving back to Arkansas. That one is going around right now. I can tell you, we have no intention of moving back to Arkansas. There are no jobs there for us. Nobody has contacted us. And unless God intervenes, there won't be jobs in Arkansas.
Four--We have a time share. Usually, it's a two bedroom condo. On one of our trips, it was just the two of us. As we rested in the place, we looked at each other and said, "You know, we could get used to this." There is no maintenance. It's easier to maintain. Less stuff. We don't need the wide open spaces.
Five--It's time to downsize. We have 32 years of stuff in our possession. Most of it I haven't seen in years. It's been in boxes that we have moved from place to place. You wouldn't believe what we've thrown away in the last several weeks and we will continue to. But does anyone want to buy a bunkbed? How about a ping pong table? A cute day bed that would look nice in a little girl's room?
Now I know there are probably some out there who can't believe we're doing this. That's all right. We are. So get over it. When we get all of the "essentials" in, come and visit us. We'll share a nice quiet evening together.
There you have it. All the reasons why and some of the "not the reasons" why. I hope your day is a good one. JW

2 comments:

Karen said...

Thanks for that reassurance about Arkansas... :)

Don't forget to let us know the new address!

I hear ya about the simplicity thing. Unfortunately, 4 kids doesn't lead to simplicity. At this rate, I have a minimum of 10 years to go before we could attempt a simpler life. Of course, I like a larger place so we have room to entertain... so maybe I wouldn't like simple as much as I think. Oh well, I have a few years to get that figured out, don't I?

preacherman said...

Professor,
I understand your pain.
We are living in a house with 3 young boys ages 2, 5, and 7. Only one bathroom. It never fails that two or all three need to go at the same time.

I am glad things are working out for you.
Thank you for letting us know what is going on in your life.
You are in my thoughts and prayers.
God bless all you do.
You do such a fantastic job with this blog.
I enjoy reading it.
I am sorry I don't comment as much as I should but my health premits me from commenting a lot.
Again, God bless and have a fantastic week!