Thursday, September 11, 2008

It's Been Seven Years

I like asking people where they were when something, like a special event, happened. As someone from the Greatest Generation where they were when Pearl Harbor was bombed. Or ask a boomer where they were when Kennedy was assassinated. It's now been seven years since the greatest terrorist attack on American soil was perpetrated. I listened this morning as several children of one of those father's who died in the attack on the World Trade Center gave their thoughts. My eyes welled up in tears as they recalled as best they could the father they will never really know. There wasn't anger, only sadness in not really knowing their father. There was hope in making the world a better place.
As I've mentioned in a previous blog, I had just had breakfast with our consultant. As Vice President of York College, I had a busy schedule, places to go, people to see. When all of a sudden, the world stopped. I'm sorry to see the rancor return. The threats are still there. Yet, it's good for us to learn that hate never cures anything. Paul said to hate what is evil and to cling to that which is good. But he never says to hate people.
Today, I chose to remember those who died who, as one of the daughters of one of those killed said, "I think of what could have been." I chose to remember the way we rallied to each other's side and knelt in prayer, Democrats and Republicans no more. Only Americans. Only Children of God. I chose to remember that one day, it will not have to be like it was then. I hope your day is good. JW

No comments: