Tuesday, December 02, 2008

Toothless in Omaha

On December 2, 1972 (that's 36 years ago) I was playing basketball for Ohio Valley College. The game before we had lost two of our starters because they had their noses broken in a fight which ended the game with less than two minutes remaining. (By the way, that game was against Robert Morris). Anyway, it was my first chance to start and we traveled to McKeesport, Pennsylvania to take on Allegheny South.
I had just found my groove and had hit two consecutive shots when it happened. Someone took a shot from the outside and I watched my man to make sure he didn't crash the boards. I boxed him out and faced the basket. About that time, one of Allegheny's players leapt high into the air to rebound the missed shot. As he returned to earth (his shoelaces were about my eye level....that's one reason I realized I was waaayyy to short to play college basketball) he elbowed me....right in the mouth. I thought he had knocked my tooth back into my mouth when one of my teammates said, "Here, Jim. Here's your tooth." Those who witnessed the event said the tooth hit the floor and bounced up pretty high. I can take real pride in that. After oral surgery, ulcered mouth wounds. pain medication, and not being able to eat anything more solid than applesauce and milkshakes, I still didn't miss the next game. In fact, I took another elbow on my chin in that game.
I've since had a root canal on that front tooth, braces, had the tooth pulled, and now have a wonderful bridge that gives me a beautful (yeah, right) smile. Those memories come back to haunt me every year on December 2nd. Who says basketball is a non-contact sport? I think it was Celtic great Bill Russell who said basketball is a non-collision sport. But I survived. I can still eat. My life is none the worse for it. But every year I still feel the jarring hit of that elbow in my mouth. And I haven't even told you about the time I bit clear through my lip in a game. Have a wonderful day. JW

3 comments:

debbers57 said...

It has to be a McKeesport, PA thing...I fell down the flight of stairs at the McKeesport CofC during a gospel meeting...Needless to say my blood crudling scream not only stopped the worship service but ended up putting me in the hospital with yes 3 broken teeth, broken jaw and broken hand and stitches...Our baby then 5 months old in the hospital for 5 days with a fractured skull in 3 places...LOL I haven't thought of this stuff in a LONG time...

dd said...

36 years ago...Dec 2, 1972...I gave birth to Jimmy...I had a better day than you did! :) DBrooks

Theresa Michelle said...

Wow, debbers, that's awful!

Jim, was it worth it? I can't relate, but for football I sure could. I have an arthritic knee from a football injury, but it was so worth it! Life is meant to be lived, you know?

Ah, Christmas of 72... my first :)