Monday, January 24, 2011

God is not Doctrine

I was reading a little C. S. Lewis the other day (What I can understand of him is excellent!) and he made a statement that caught my eye. He said, "Doctrines are not God." I stopped and highlighted that statement because I think it hits a nerve.
We in the Lord's church today have made doctrine God. And contrary to popular belief, the "change agents" (I really don't like that term. What the term means is someone with whom I don't agree with. That's usually what change agents mean.) that are out there do not want to throw doctrine out the window. But in many cases, our doctrine has become the most important thing. "Don't tell me what God is about," "Don't explain to me about God's grace." Just tell me what to do and I'll do it. I'll condemn others for not doing it and I'll beat them over the head with my doctrine."
Wow, that is so unlike my Father. Yet, that is what, I'm afraid, many in the church see in God. There are so many passages that talk about knowing God and loving God. God is love. God is realtionship. God is justice, yes, but He provides our way to know Him better. I prefer the latter to the former. Just a few words for thought. I hope your day is a good one. JW

No comments: