Tuesday, January 04, 2011

Papa White

I have been lax in blogging over the last year. So, I've decided to write more this year (One of my New Year's resolutions!). I realize that people who used to read this blog have quit looking to see if I written anything. So it will take time to build the readership back up. But I'm willing to do it. Once a week, at least, I'll write something. Sometimes it will be personal. Other times it won't. But I always hope you will enjoy the words.

Probably the biggest event in my life this year (yeah, already!) is the birth of my first grandson....Landry James Johnston. He was born yesterday, January 3, 2011. He was 7 lbs. 13 oz and 20 3/4 inches long. Everyone is doing well. I am proud of my daughter and son-in-law because they were wonderful during this process. And although they're moving away in March or April, they are going to be great parents.

I can't describe the first time I walked in the room just minutes after he was born. My daugther was holding her new son, "This is Landry," she said. I looked at her tired face, weary from childbirth, elated at this new stage in her life, and tears in her eyes. What is it that God built into women? That maternal instinct that is so tender, so wonderful to behold and so hard to describe. And I saw it in my wife as she set about to her grandmotherly duties. Smiling, cuddling, cooing, protecting. It truly is a joy to watch and experience.

I thought about the future. What a strange bookend of events. My first grandson was born on Monday and I go to my urologist for my cancer checkup on Friday. (By the way, everything is fine and I expect this check up to be good also. This is just the six month check up after my prostate surgery). This morning I thought of Travis and Meredith and I wished for them the same feeling I had when I saw my first grandson. I wish for them the same when they seen their first grandchild. I won't be around for that one probably. But that's all right. My goal, my job is to pass it on. Pass on the faith. Pass on the trust in the One and Only. I've already sung "Jesus Loves Me" to Landry. Maybe that's why he cried....But I want to be there for him to pass it on.

Wow! What an experience and what a jumbled mass of words. But you have to understand, I just became a grandfather for the very first time. Well, I can't wait to get out there to see him. I hope your day is as good as mine. JW Happy New Year!

1 comment:

Karen said...

There you go again; another one of your eloquently-worded posts that gets me all misty-eyed. I am so happy for all of you that Landry has arrived, and hope to get to see him one of these days.

BTW, I've heard you sing. There's no way your singing would make a baby cry. He was just upset he couldn't already sing along!