Wednesday, June 11, 2008

The Dull Stuff

I have to admit, and I think most bloggers would say the same, that it is a goal of us diarists to say something that is deep and profound; and to do so on a regular basis. But in reality, it's hard to come up with something (at least for me on any topic on a daily basis. The truth is, my life is really pretty dull. It's composed of doing much the same, day in and day out.
There are, of course, events that crop up. For instance, this week pretty much every night is taken up. Monday was a shepherds/minister meeting, Tuesday was clear, Wednesday is a singing at church, Thursday there are two things--a cook-out for some friends visiting from California and a devotional at an assisted living home, Friday is a rehearsal and rehearsal dinner for a wedding, and Saturday is the wedding. By the time the summer is over I'll have performed four weddings and attended at least one other. I don't tell you this to say how busy I am, because you could do the same, probably more. I do it to let you know as I have already stated how truly dull my life is.
But you know what? Life isn't one big exciting event after another. It's what we do with these events that makes life interesting. You visit the hospital, you bring a smile to someone's face. You say a few words at a wedding, and the couple will remember the kind things you say. You stop to admire a precious newborn, the mother remembers that you stopped to acknowledge this precioius little one. Then occasionally, camp comes along and there's a mountain top experience. You watch your son graduate from high school. You see your daughter mature into a wonderful young lady. You enjoy, as Ecclesiastes says, the time with your wife. Or, the catastrophes do come and the trials hit and the temptations linger around. Then you wish for your dull life to come back.
I'm convinced it's about the journey. I've blogged about that before. But it's what you do with the everyday. The dull. The mundane. So here's the schedule, the rut, the routine.

Monday--Staff Meeting, reading, sermon & class prep
Tuesday--More sermon and class prep
Wednesday--Contact Together Group, prepare for the evening
Thursday--Finish Power Point for Sermon, class prep, Scheduled afternoon Bible study with member
Friday, Saturday--Off
Sunday--The Lord's Day, teach class, preach, nap, teach class

In between, the Lord fills the time with some great experiences. Have a great day. And keep your eyes open. You never know what will happen in between the dull stuff. JW

1 comment:

Jim's Journeys said...

I enjoyed reading your posts. Believe it or not, I have a blog with the same name. It can be found at http://jimsjourney.wordpress.com/

I like to think many of my articles contain good Christian messages. Others are just plain fun to read. I'm adding your site to my links. My readers might enjoy getting a dose of spirituality from time to time.

By the way, our church is currently looking for a new pastor. Interested?

Jim Leeds
Cumming, GA