Wednesday, June 04, 2008

Happy Birthday, Mom

I wrote about Mom one year ago today. Today would have been her 87th birthday and it doesn't seem possible that she has been gone for over three years. She grew up in a Christian home in difficult times. The Great Depression influenced her family as they did without so many things that we would consider essential today. Truly a coal miner's daughter, she was a loyal wife, faithful Christian, loving mother.
I have her Bible in my hand and I was looking at some of the notes she wrote. The Bible is underlined all over, much like Dad's was. I don't know if he influenced her or she him. I smile as I read some of the things she's written in the margins.

"Put your faith in Christ during the troubled waters (times) of your life."
"There is a Great Day coming."
"Christ loves children."
"Christians--Beware."
"Angels praise God."
"What kind of listener are you?"
"Be not afraid--39 times in the O.T., 10 times in the N.T."

There are many more. Great lessons from a great person. She even had one writing that said, "Repent or perish." I guess that was the mother's ire coming out in her. She mentioned that angels praise God. Well, I can tell you one thing, she's praising God as we speak. I feel her presence. I sense her love. I miss her. I wish her a happy birthday.
I hope your day is a good one. JW

1 comment:

jackie chesnutt said...

Jim, my mom would have been 85 this week. I miss her every day. Thanks for the sweet reminder of mom.

I love you.