Monday, June 23, 2008

Mysterious and Wonderful

I don't understand everything that happens in life. I don't know why kids die in tornadoes. Why there's starvation in Africa. Why people get cancer. If I understood everything, I think there would be no wonder in this world; probably only bitterness and anger.
So I choose to stay in the wonder of it all. The mystery of God is tremendous. I can't figure Him out. All I know is I see all kinds of good things happen even when bad things occur. Sam Thomsen was a neat kid. There wasn't anything particularly exceptional about him. Please don't take that wrong because I don't mean it in an ugly way. I'm just saying he was a typical teenage kid. He had great aspirations. He made me laugh. But as a result of Sam's death, millions are reading about the God he served. About a week ago there were over 788,000 websites that talked about Sam and printed the sermon he wrote. Can you imagine if just two people read his words, that would be over 1.5 million who heard of God's call to us?
I have had numerous people come up to me and tell me what a loving congregation we have. They notice how much we love one another. Isn't that what we're supposed to be known for? Isn't that what it's all about?
E-mails have come from all over the country. Cards have flooded in from concerned people. Prayers have risen in the millions! All of this occurred because one little boy who had been taught by his parents to love God and he followed their lead to do just that. How did God do this? I don't know. But we'll never be able to measure the influence this one 13 almost 14 year old had on this crazy old world. How do you do it, Lord? You are truly great! Have a great day. JW

No comments: