Monday, July 14, 2008

Five Years

Five years ago today I moved into the office I occupy today. After preaching 200+ sermons, this congregation still tolerates my musings. What I appreciate about this bunch is they (and I've called them this in their presence) are a Berean church. They don't take what I say for granted, they search the Scriptures. There have been many times when someone has come up to me and questioned me about something I said. "I looked that up. But what about this?" I love that. That means they have gone home and thought about the lesson. What I really appreciate, though, is that the questioning hasn't been done in an ugly manner. It's been a seeker, "really want to know because it's important" way.
Many things have happened in the last five years. Many weddings including my own daughter's wedding three years ago. A number of funerals. In fact, we've buried two our our teens in the last three years. One was murdered, the other killed in the recent tornado that destroyed the scout camp in Iowa. We don't want to go through any of that again, but it has brought us closer. It has taught us how to grieve, but not as those who have no hope. I seen elders pray for hours. People who we love dearly have moved away because they have taken other jobs in other cities. Military personnel have moved in and moved out. There have been a boatload of kids who have graduated and moved on to college (including my son this year! Uh, oh, empty nest) We've ordained new elders. We've put into place new deacons. We have developed a vision statement.
To say we've survived is probably somewhat of an understatement. But I have to say it's been a good five years. God has been good to us. It's a joy to come in and see the smiling faces on Sunday morning. As I look around the auditorium, I see a lot of people who struggle with the problems of life, but still survive knowing that this world is not their home. We're just a bunch of misfits, pilgrims, aliens, strangers...and my family and I sit in the midst of them. Because I am too. We keep looking for new ways to serve, for more ways to worship, and for more lives to touch.
Perfect? You know we're not. Searching? You bet. Who knows what the next five years will hold? But we will serve the Lord. Thank you, Southwest family for allowing me to stand before you every Sunday to preach. You have blessed me in more ways that you know. I love you. JW

2 comments:

Karen said...

Happy 5th Anniversary! You know the folks at Southwest can say the same thing you did... you have blessed them in more ways than you know, too. And my family as well.

We love you.

Shane Coffman said...

Congrats on 5 years, Jim!

You have been a wonderful blessing to the folks at SW, just as they have been to you.

Here's to the next 5!