Wednesday, July 16, 2008

He's Watching

Everyday, I look to see if I can find his picture. Is he in the background there? There he is! Is he smiling or frowning? Is he having a good time? You see, my son has been counseling at camp now into his second week. Every morning, they post pictures of the previous day. Every day I look to see if his handsome mug is there. I'd do the same if my daughter were there, too. They're mine, you know. They belong to me. (Well, and to my wife.) But I think you get the picture. My son leaves for college in about a month. Then he'll be gone, well, for the rest of his life. I know, I know, he'll be back through. But not on the same basis that he has been for the last 18 years.
But here's my point, if I'm so interested in seeing how my son is doing, wanting to see him, wanting to know if he's happy, gleeful (yes, I said it. Gleeful) when he calls just so I can hear his voice, what does God do as He sees us in our everyday lives?

Which of you, if his son asks for bread, will give him a stone? Or if he asks for a fish, will give him a snake? If you, then, though you are evil, know how to give good gifts to your children, how much more will your Father in heaven give good gifts to those who ask him! Matthew 7:9, 10

He will not let your foot slip--he who watches over you will not slumber; indeed, he who watches over Israel will neither slumber nor sleep. The Lord watches over you--the Lord is your shade at your right hand; the sun will not harm you by day, nor the moon by night. The Lord will keep you from all harm--he will watch over your life; the Lord will watch over your coming and going both now and forevermore. Psalm 121 3-8

He's watching. Not the "All-Seeing Eye Watching You" song where you're afraid to do anything because God will zap you. But the care of a concerned parent. Wanting to know how you're doing. Wanting to hear from you (prayer). Gleeful at the sound of your voice. Have you noticed the passages that talk about God's love? Overflowing, poured out, lavished. He doesn't just tell us, he demonstrates it as Paul said in Romans. And He's watching us right now. Wondering how we're doing. Anxious to hear from us.
My son called yesterday. I was elated. He asked me to pray for him. You bet I will. You bet I have. Contstantly since he called and asked....yesterday. If I understand that. What does that do for our concept of God caring for us? Have a great day. JW

No comments: