Tuesday, July 22, 2008

It's Time--Green Valley Bible Camp

I'm getting ready for my annual trek to Green Valley Bible Camp. Since 1991, I think I've only missed two years. Before that, I used to go there in 1977-1979. Although there have been some changes over the years, there are some things that never change...and that's good.
My prayers have started already for the week. I've prayed for my co-director (he's really the director, I just tag along and get the benefits), I've prayed for the counselors, I've prayed for the campers, I've prayed for the day campers. By the time after it's all said and done, we'll have close to 300 kids there during the week counting night and day campers. It'll be hot, humid, the bathhouses are okay, the food will be fine, I'll try to play basketball. Really I just stand in one place while everyone else runs past me. I get to put away my phone, my keys, my billfold, and just be there.
What will happen will be God being glorified. The singing will be heavenly. The lessons will challenge. We'll all grow closer to God. Satan sits at the gate and waits for them all to come out and then he attacks them. The week is too good for him not to worry a little bit. But he usually waits for them to leave. Divide and conquer. That's his strategy.
But for one week out of the year, we get to see what heaven will be like. We'll encourage. We'll love. And maybe, just maybe, these young hearts will be changed. And someday, if they do wander from the Lord, they'll remember what they had at Green Valley Bible Camp. There's something special there. Everyone I know who's been there remembers it fondly (with very few exceptions). Pray for the week. Pray that lives are changed. What an impact this week is on the kids....and me.

1 comment:

jackie chesnutt said...

I'm writing this while you are at camp, my friend. I really enjoyed our visit yesterday. I know you and Rodney will offer the campers and staff a great week. I must say, you sweat as well as any person I've ever met!!!

I love you!