Monday, August 18, 2008

Empty Nest

He just went to bed. It's late...nearly 2:00 am and I won't have the opportunity to have him say "goodnight" too many more times. At least, not from my own house. We golfed today. We ate out tonight. It's almost as if we don't want to say anything even though we know the time is short.
Don't get me wrong. This is what we have prepared to do all his life. This is what's supposed to happen. Like the mother bird forces her babies from the nest. He's excited and I'm excited for him. It's just that our job is done. I know, I know, we are paying the bills and talking to him regularly and paying more bills. But to see him every day, well, that's done.
He's made mistakes. But who hasn't? And Lord knows, I've made my share and then some. He's had his accomplishments. Lots of them. I'm proud of him and I know he'll have more. Tonight, as my tears flow, I know everything changes now. The nest is empty. He's not our little boy anymore...and he hasn't been for awhile. But today, it seemed like it as I rubbed his head. When he returns, he'll be a man.
What's in store for him? I guess that's what's scary. Satan is a mean and evil force and would love to sift him like wheat. God (and me) want only good for him. Now I don't make the decisions. I haven't made that many for several years anyway. But now, really, I don't make hardly any. The apron strings are being cut and he'll have to decide for his life. Choose wisely, son. Pursue God, I mean, really pursue Him. The book of James says to resist Satan and he'll run away. But if you come close to God, He'll come close to you. So this old dad sits here tonight (early this morning!) with tears in his eyes and he thinks of those years since December 15, 1989 when he came into this world. As I used to wipe your eyes of your tears, I pray God will wipe away mine. God bless you, son.

1 comment:

Franklin Wood said...

Be safe as you take him to Harding. Enjoy the time you have together on the road. You are a good dad, that's why you care so much!