Monday, March 21, 2011

Letter to Landry

Dear Landry,
Since you are my first grandchild, I was just getting used to being your Papa. I had had a lot of practice with your mother and your Uncle Nate, but this was different. I could hand you back when you were crying. If you messed your diaper, I could have someone else change it (even Granna would do it....she is such a softie). I looked forward to our (nearly) every day conversations. I loved to feel your soft skin and smell your smell and see your smile.
It was really hard to leave you in Wichita the other day with your Momma and Daddy, but that's a good place for you. And although I won't get to see you every day, I need you to help your Mom and Dad. I want you to help them by being a good boy, by growing up and becoming a good young man, then becoming a great man. I want you to remember the times that I held you close to me as I sang "Jesus Loves Me" to you. By the way, it won't be the last time you hear me sing it. With Skype and visits, I'll have plenty more opportunities to do that.
But I want you to know that you wrapped yourself around my heart just like your little hand wrapped around my finger. Granna didn't see my tears while we were driving home in the dark. I could see your Momma's tears again as we drove off. But I need you to grow up and be a big boy. Know that your Granna and Papa love you as do your other grandparents, your Mom and Dad, and a host of other people. You are so fortunate to have them as your parents.
Most importantly, I want you to grow up and love God. I want you to give your life to Him. I want you to know that if Papa loves you, God loves you even more....although I can't imagine how much that is.
Grow up to be a big boy, we'll be down to visit as much as we can, and I know you'll come see us. Save some "Patty-cake" games for me. We'll see you soon. I love you....Papa.

4 comments:

Karen said...

This. Must. Stop. I will run out of Kleenex soon if you keep up these kind of posts.

Landry is such a lucky boy.

debbers57 said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
debbers57 said...

I agree with Karen...I am so happy you are enjoying grandparenthood. It seems we often get adjusted to our new life then a wrinkle comes into it. Landry is a blessed little man to have you and Martha as grandparents...

Theresa Michelle said...

I'm sorry- so hard to have the ones you love far away, but I suppose that's what so often happens in this life. Yay Skype, though! Hang in there, Grampa!