Monday, March 14, 2011

Our Father

I went and heard James Taylor and his son, Ben Taylor, sing the other night. Now I cut my teeth (not really) on James Taylor's music. In college, it was the goal of all of the young men who could play guitar to play it like James and to imitate his voice. His songs had a soothing, yet soulful and haunting, nature to them. Mellow would be the way I would describe his music. And I was raised in the era of "the louder, the better" era of music with heavy metal, and crank it up volume. But James Taylor would come along and just soothe my soul.
His son looks a lot like him. He isn't as good a singer and he can't play the guitar as well as his dad. Yet there was JT promoting his son and singing with him and enjoying the concert as much as I did.
I couldn't help thinking about our relationship with our Father. He is awesome at everything He does. He creates, He is glorified, He is loving. And I try to imitate Him in my own meager sort of way. I'm not as good. I'm not as loving. Yet He sings with me and promotes me to be like Him. Kind of like JT and Ben.
At the end of the concert, JT hugged his son, smiled and took a bow. Just like God does with us. Am I taking this too far? I don't think so. That's how much God loves us. I hope your day is good. JW

No comments: