Tuesday, October 15, 2013

A Life Well Lived

I had the privilege of attending the funeral yesterday of a man who had lived his life the way it should be lived. He had 12 naturally born children all of which are faithful to God. As a children's home director he was father to many others who came under his direction. As I listened to the testimonials from his children, I couldn't help but think he got it. One of his sons had a power point slide that said, "No tombstone, no epitaph, no cemetery." He didn't need a tombstone or an epitaph. His family spoke enough about his life by the life they live today. He didn't need a cemetery because he doesn't need his body anymore. He's enjoying the reward that he had so long prepared for.
A thought came to me as I pondered this man's life. I thought, "I agree with everything he stood for. I didn't agree with everything he said." You see, this gentleman had principles. I didn't always see eye to eye in the way he pursued his principles. But I am with him in all his principles. I really think his life could have been summed up in these words. "Fear God and keep his commandments, for this is the whole duty of man." Ecclesiastes 12:13 The fact that we may have had some disagreements doesn't mean we had words or fights or anything else. Truthfully, I didn't really know him that well. But I knew his children. We don't have to agree on everything to admire and honor and appreciate and respect someone who knew what he wanted in life for himself and for his children.
I loved hearing the stories. It was wonderful to reconnect with some of his children and grandchildren. It was truly a celebration of life. I couldn't help but think, that's how I want to be remembered. Somebody said to this gentlemen's surviving wife, (I'm paraphrasing) "I'm so sorry for your loss." She said, "I'm not lost. I'm going to go where he is soon. He's waiting to help me get there." So here's to a life well lived. God bless men like this. It's my prayer that we can all live such a life that is so God-honoring.

No comments: