Tuesday, October 01, 2013

Doubts

Several years ago I preached a series of sermons on a topic that is sometimes controversial. Several days after the sermon, I received a phone call from someone who asked this question. "Do you really believe that?" Interesting question for a preacher isn't it? I assured this person that I did believe what I preached and we had a good conversation about the topic.

However, this morning on my drive to work I was thinking about the incarnation of Jesus and the thought went through my mind, "What if all of that didn't happen? Am I doing what I do in vain?" Scary thought for a preacher. Yet, I believe that God leaves room in His plan for questions and occasional doubt. Doubt causes us to seek. It demands we ask questions. It guides us many times to the answers we already know are true. Or, in some cases, perhaps to rediscover old truths that have long been forgotten or incorrectly believed.

I believe the characters in the Bible had doubts. Don't you think Abraham wondered what kind of God would ask for him to sacrifice his precious son? Do you think Noah ever questioned the wisdom of building a boat when first of all, it had not rained before and second, it was a long way from the water? I think we can see the doubt in David's psalms as he questions where God is. How about Joseph as he's mistreated by his brothers and wrongfully accused of sin? The list goes on and on. I haven't even mentioned Jeremiah, Isaiah, the apostles, Paul, It's all right to have doubts. What we do with them is the rub. Paul's conclusion?

"Yet I am not ashamed, because I know whom I have believed, and am convinced that he is able to guard what I have entrusted to him for that day." II Timothy 1:12

So do I really believe what I preach? Let me first begin by saying that God has called us to be faithful. Not sinless, not perfect, not self-righteous, not successful, but faithful. That includes all the foibles and shortcomings that I have. Secondly, I'll let the words to this song that was going through my mind on this same drive to work I told you about earlier speak for me this today.

We saw Thee not when lifted high,
Amid that wild and savage crew;
Nor heard we that imploring cry,
"Forgive they know not what they do!"
But we believe the deed was done,
That shook the earth and veiled the sun;
But we believe the deed was done,
That shook the earth and veiled the sun.

Have a great and blessed day! JW

No comments: