Monday, October 28, 2013

It Just Doesn't Make Sense

There was no other person standing in line at Starbucks. The barista kindly took my order and then she asked what my name was for the cup. Now I was the only drink being made at the time. Was there a concern that it would get confused with.....well, no one? I know they're taught to ask for names in order to become more personal with their customers. Sometimes, however, things don't make sense. Kind of like when I go to the gym to exercise, I tend to try to find the parking place that's closest to the door so I won't have to walk as far. It just doesn't make sense.

But there are a lot of things in the Bible that don't make sense. Why did God love me so much that He would send His only Son to die for me? Why would God give me grace and mercy? Why does God offer me the best of this life (not necessarily money and things, but the best of the things that really matter)? That doesn't make sense either. So maybe it's best for me just to bask in God's goodness and to accept His gifts.

I have a shepherd who occasionally compliments something I have done or a sermon I've preached and I try to slough it off and push the praise to something else. He looks at me with a little smile on his face and says, "Just say, 'thank you.'" Maybe that's what we should do. When God showers us with the blessings that He does on a daily, really moment to moment, basis, I should learn to just say, "thank you."

I hope you have a wonderful day. JW

No comments: