Wednesday, October 09, 2013

Help!

My two year and eight months grandson is so funny. He makes me smile in so many ways. Sometimes it's just the pure joy of hearing "Papa!" come from his lips. Other times, it's his observations in the world. One of the things I've noticed is his call when a situation comes up that he doesn't know how to deal with it. He gets stuck in his high chair and he calls, "Help!" Trying to find his way out of a program on my Ipad, he says, "Help!" Trying to crawl out of my easy chair while he has his hands full, "Help!" What makes it funnier is it sounds like he's from the south. Help, a monosyllabic word becomes "Hel-yup!" I guess that's his Arkansas born Granna's DNA coursing through his veins.
But when he calls for help, someone is usually there to grant him assistance. When he calls, an adult will usually come to his aid. That's why he calls. He knows someone is there to help him. What a concept! Calling for help and help comes.
God has promised us the same thing.

The Lord is near to all who call on him, to all who call on him in truth. Psalm 145:18

Seek the Lord while he may be found; call on him while he is near. Isaiah 55:6

Before they call I will answer; while they are still speaking I will hear. Isaiah 65:24


So I think my grandson has hit on something. Call for help. We need help in our world. We humans have made such a mess of things. I'm sometimes embarrassed to watch the news and see what's being reported. It makes sense to me that we as God's children should be calling for help. Don't believe me? Let me give you some examples.

In Kentucky, school officials are saying that athletes can't shake hands after ball games because it causes fights. Help!

Our own government has been shut down for over a week and many are without the needed sustenance for their lives. Help!

A man was recently tracked down and beaten by several motorcycle robbers. All this in front of his wife and child. Help!

God's ways are continually mocked and despised all over our country, all over the world. Help!

It's so important to us that we remember that God is here and willing and ready to help us. All we need to do is to call on His name. I think it would be appropriate to end this little blog with Psalm 121.

I lift up my eyes to the hills-
where does my help come from?
My help comes from the Lord,
the Maker of heaven and earth.

He will not let your foot slip--
he who watches over you will not slumber;
indeed, he who watches over Israel
will neither slumber nor sleep.

The Lord watches over you--
the Lord is your shade at your right hand;
the sun will not harm you by day,
nor the moon by night.

The Lord will keep you from all harm--
he will watch over your life;
the Lord will watch over your coming and going
both now and forevermore.


Help!

No comments: