Tuesday, December 04, 2007

Pundit Christianity

I've noticed something that is getting worse in our culture. As a result, I think it's creeping into the church. My biggest pet peeve with television right now are the talk shows. Turn on Pardon the Interruption on ESPN and you'll find Tony Kornheiser and Mike Wilbon discussing various aspects of sports....at the same time....loudly. They yell at each other and they disagree with each other and they talk so you can't hear what the other is saying. The only way one wins the argument is to yell louder than the other.
I'm dreading the upcoming political season. It's already started way too early. The "experts" (and by the way, it doesn't matter which party, which network, conservative or liberal, they're all the same) sit around and table and interrupt each other, talk over the other, and virtually outrude each other to win the argument. "Let me finish" becomes the favorite saying.
I think this attitude is creeping into the church. There is a note of disagreement or dissatisfaction, so what do you do? You begin talking to each other and the conversation gets louder and louder. Finally, the bond frays, the relationship suffers, the hurtful words have been said, and the friendship is, at best, tense. So we gripe at everything the other does. It becomes fashionable to complain about the preacher, the elders, the deacons, the worship leader, the Bible class teacher, the ministry leader, the others in the church. Finally, it's a place you don't want to attend because "nobody does anything right at that church."
"But doesn't the Bible say to be ready to give an answer?!!" Yes, it does. But did you read the rest of the verse? Here it is in it's entirety.
Always be prepared to give an answer to everyone who asks you to give the reason for the hope that you have. But do this with gentleness and respect, keeping a clear conscience, so that those who speak maliciously against your good behavior in Christ may be ashamed of their slander. I Peter 3:15, 16
While we're at it, how about another verse?
Do everything without complaining or arguing, so that you may become blameless and pure, children of God without fault in a crooked and deparaved generation, in which you shine like stars in the universe as you hold out the word of life--in order that I may boast on the day of Christ that I did not run or labor for nothing. Philippians 2:14-16
As God's children, we are to settle disputes differently. We are to think differently. We are to respond differently than the world does. And if the world cannot see a difference, we're no different than the pundits on TV. It shouldn't be hard and it won't be hard to act differently. I hope your day is a good one. JW

3 comments:

One Observationist said...

It was a hard habit for me to get over, criticizing the church leaders with malice or anger. I wasn't a part of the poll to the church leadership that was mentioned in last Sunday's service because I do not attend a family life group. But I found the presentations by Mr. Hamilton and Mike Butt awkward and forced. In fact the whole service was a little awkward to me.

I had a hard time with the Sunday forum last week and I'll just chalk it up to some of the personal things I'm going through. But I've been studying a few things lately about a personal walk with God and it is causing me to question how I view my affiliation with the church.

If we look at the N.T. it is clear that the church has a function in our personal walk with God, but it is by no means the end of our walk. Which may be some of the problems the church leadership is facing with the criticisms in their polling. It seemed to me that the leadership was beat down because of the results of the poll. Now since I didn't take part in it I have no idea what the questions even were, but I just find it interesting how the leadership reacted to it. And I treat it like I would treat a grain of salt. I don't have much to say about the leadership at southwest because besides the formal worship service on Sundays, my relationship with Franklin and several other members, I do not come into contact with the leadership. And I have been so focused, recently, on my personal walk with God that I have given up criticizing other Christians, because I too am a sinner, and I have sort of distanced myself from the "issues" that most members deem important. So I have no opinion either way.

You do bring up some good thoughts about how we are to treat each other when we disagree with one another. Thanks for the post and I will go forth and argue in peace.

Have a good one.
Jeremy Divis

Franklin Wood said...

I always liked Philippians 2:3 which says, "Do nothing out of selfish ambition or vain conceit, but in humility consider others better than yourselves."
that oughtta make you shut up in a hurry!!

One Observationist said...

Yeah, no kidding Franklin. I mean how many of us who truly look at our own failings can honestly bash anyone else? We're all sinners. Christian or not, leader or not, we've all sinned and failed.

I'm thankful for the leaders at Southwest. I know you all work hard at trying to promote peace and the attainment of greater things and you help to create an environment where people feel comfortable enough to come together and worship God.

Pass this along to the elders if you would Jim. I love being a part of the church at Southwest. I've learned more spiritually there than any other church I have attended. You guys must be doing something right.

God bless you all.
Jeremy