Wednesday, February 18, 2009

It's Going to Happen

Here is something deep and profound. I hope you're sitting down because this will knock your socks off. I have this life thing figured out. Are you ready? Here it is. Sit back. You're going to die...and so am I. I've noticed it because just recently the fathers of two of our members died, and the father of a former colleague, six or seven members of my congregation last year, and there are others. And it's not just old people. There are 80 year olds, 13 year olds, and most ages in between. Death is no respecter of persons.
So the message is this; what kind of lives should we live? Death is inevitable. Unless the Lord comes again before we die, it's going to happen to all of us. It's the great equalizer of humanity. It's just going to happen. Red, yellow, black, or white, you're going to die. Atheist or Agnostic or Believer, it's bound to happen to all of us.
Have you noticed, you're not as young as you used to be? You ache in places where you didn't realize you had muscle. You're not nearly as agile as you used to be. When you sit down on the floor, it takes five minutes for you to get up...and then when you finally get up, you have to rest for a minute to catch your breath. The Hebrew writer said, "It is appointed unto man once to die, and then the judgment." Again, what kind of live should we live? I love the thoughts from a song we used to sing long ago:

One sweetly solemn thought
Comes to me o'er and o'er:
Today I'm nearer to my home
Than e'er I've been before.

Feel as if now my feet
Were slipping o'er the brink;
For I may now be nearer home,
Much nearer than I think.


Each day we live we take one more step closer to home. Instead of dread, shouldn't that be a journey of joy? I know on long trips when I was a child, the anticipation of almost being there was almost too much for me to handle. So if we know our ultimate destination, shouldn't we be enjoying the trip? Something to think about. Don't get down about this...unless your relationship with the Lord is not what it should be. But think about this today. And if your relationship isn't what it should be, let me know. Let's talk. Have a great day.

No comments: