Tuesday, February 17, 2009

Marketing

I'd like to think that I didn't fall off the turnip truck, but I'm such a rube! I received an invitation to come to a meeting of the Journalist Broadcast group. Sure. Why not? When I got there I was assigned to an account executive and I had to listen to a presention. What was the presentation? The lady talked of market share, getting through to our customers, branding, and other marketing mish mash.
Now you have to understand, my background is marketing. I have spent 15 years in college/university enrollment, so I understand marketing. And I think there's a place for some kind of (for lack of a better term) promotion of the church. But I just can't reduce souls to market shares and customers. I struggle with calling church loyalty "branding." Lands knows we've messed that up enough the way it is.
So, what do you call it and how do you do it? This is profound, so listen up. Jesus said the way you accomplish this is to love God with everything you've got and to love people. In my opinion, we've done too much marketing. We've convinced everyone that we think we're the only ones going to heaven. We "proved" to people that if you use instruments, you're going to hell. We've branded the name "Church of Christ" so much that people will attend without even reading Scripture one to figure out if what we are doing coincides with what Jesus ever said.
So, let's show the love of Jesus. Let's be good citizens and serve people who are hurting. Let's praise God. And you know what, people will bust down your doors to get in. People will want to know "what's going on at that church?". You'll have growth like you've never seen it before.
Lord, please save us from ourselves. Have a great day. JW

No comments: