Monday, February 16, 2009

Remember

I love the smell of baby wipes. That sounds crazy, I know, but it reminds me of my children when they were little. Lying on their backs as I changed their diapers (now THAT'S not that pleasant), I would take one of those wipes and clean them up. Chocolate on their cute little faces after eating ice cream cones were quickly cleaned up and the smell, well it just takes me back. Back to a time when I could solve their problems with a kiss and a hug. And they smelled all better.
Now their trials are a little more complicated and the way is not as clear and the solutions are not so easy. I can't just clean them up and hug them and kiss them and send them on their way. But I can give them the advice that is as old as Scripture. It is so simple, yet it isn't easy. It can be packaged in just one word...remember.
Remember that God loves you. Remember that He will never leave you. And as I told my kids, never means "not ever." Remember that He is the answer to everything. And when you think He's not there, remember.
We are creatures of habit who need reminding. That's why the Lord told the Israelites to gather stones from the Jordan and build an altar so when their children asked what the stones meant, they could tell them, "Remember when the Lord parted the Jordan." The Passover was instituted so they would remember how God had saved them from the Egyptians. The Lord's Supper was begun so we would remember Jesus. So now, I tell my children, remember. Remember that He brought you through before, and He will do it all again.

And I will make every effort to see that after my departure you will always be able to remember these things. II Peter 1:15 Have a great day! JW

No comments: