Thursday, July 12, 2007

Empty Nest and Dad's Tears

Now it starts. Oh, it's been going on for about 17 years now, but it really is becoming reality starting tomorrow. You see, my baby boy leaves to go to Harding for an Honors Symposium tomorrow. He'll be flying by himself, making his own connections in Chicago. Slowly it's been happening. It began with the toddling walk, then to the tricycle, then the bike with training wheels, now with the car.
He's getting ready to enter his senior year. We've done the senior pictures, we've got the senior schedule, we've already got senioritis. We know it's been coming, but the stark reality is starting to sink in. In about a year, we'll have finished most of our training with this life that God gave us. I know, it never stops. In fact, my daughter and her husband still live here in town near us. I think I ought to be able to declare her as dependent on my taxes because she still eats all of my food. But that's a small price to pay to be able to see her so often.
Tomorrow begins a new era, a new day. When I put him on the plane tomorrow, it will be like saying, "Begin your journey into manhood my son. I pray you're ready. Remember what you've learned. Keep your eyes fixed on Jesus." Now I have to rely on others to help him make the mid-course corrections, to encourage him to seek God's face, and to whack him in the head when he blows it. Actually, the world will do a pretty good job of that. I guess what gets me is the unknown. What's lurking out there? What good things does God have in store? How will he turn out?
"Dear God, here's my son. You understand my feelings right now because you gave your Son up, too. It's been too fast, Lord. He was just born yesterday. Thank you for letting me have him because he has made me smile. Make him strong. Don't let him wander from you. May he make his Mom and Dad proud. And even though I said I had to depend on others to lead him now, it's really You on whom I'm depending. Hold him in Your hand. Lead him. Keep his heart pure. As I prayed when he was born that he would belong to You, I now give him You praying that you will keep him from the evil one. Make him strong. Help him to depend on you, as I have to so much right now. In Jesus name." Have a good day. JW

No comments: