Tuesday, July 10, 2007

Tell Your Story

I don't like the word evangelism. Not that it's not a good word. You cannot, however, find it in the scripture. But that's neither here nor there, it's just a personal bias. I think I don't like it because of the images it brings up, i.e. door knocking, evangelism committee meeting in Room 13, etc. Talking about Jesus is who we are, not what we do.
Hence, I came across this psalm this morning:

Come and listen, all you who fear God; let me tell you what he has done for me. Psalm 66:16.

Isn't that the essence of the gospel? No one tells your story better than you do. I'm not talking about bragging about all your accomplishments or talking solely about yourself. But I can hear these words spoken in humility, love, and gratitude..."Can I tell you what God has done for me?"

And as David finishes this wonderful psalm he realizes the impact of all of this on his life. He says:

Praise be to God, who has not rejected my prayer or withheld his love from me! Amen, King David. Amen! Have a great day. By the way, telling your story is true evangelism. JW

No comments: